Tourism destinations in Siargao Island have started resuming operations more than two months after being devastated by Typhoon Odette. 

According to Surigao del Norte Governor Francisco Matugas, operators are now accepting tourists – foreign and domestic. However, he shared that many establishments are still undergoing rehabilitation due to significant damage. 

“Our tourism sites are now open and the rehabilitation of tourist facilities are also ongoing in an effort to fully serve the needs of tourists, both foreign and domestic,” Matugas told Manila Bulletin.

Matugas notes that those wanting to visit the island will have to adhere to health protocols. 

“All vaccinated individuals are welcome in the province and the island of Siargao, while those who are not vaccinated are required to provide a negative RT-PCR test,” he said. 

“After all, health is everybody’s concern,” Matugas added.

Philippine Airlines (PAL) officially resumed its regular commercial flights from Manila to Sayak Airport on February 22. Meanwhile, Cebu flights are set to start again on March 2, Matugas shared. 

Flights to Siargao Island were halted in December last year after the typhoon hit. 

“We are ready and our tourist sites are already open,” Matugas stressed.

Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Travel Section for the latest updates.

Image credit: Alejandro Luengo via Unsplash