Unified welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. has officially withdrawn from his August 21 fight against Manny Pacquiao due to a torn retina, organizers announced on Tuesday (Wednesday, PH Time).
Spence, who is a WBC and IBF world champion, was made aware of a torn retina in his left eye while undergoing a pre-fight medical examination by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in Las Vegas on Monday (Tuesday, PH Time).
“I was excited about the fight and the event. Unfortunately, the doctors found a tear in my left eye and said I needed to get surgery on it ASAP and that there was no way I could fight with my eye in that condition,” Spence explained in an official statement.
The 31-year-old American fighter has returned to Dallas, Texas, and is scheduled to undergo surgery to fix his eye. He’s expected to make a full recovery.
After learning of Spence’s condition, Pacquiao urged everyone to pray for the latter’s complete recovery.
“I ask everyone to join me in praying for a full and complete recovery for Errol Spence Jr.,” Pacquiao shared in a tweet.
“Thank God his physical examination discovered his eye condition before he suffered any further damage,” he added.
With Spence out of the picture, Pacquiao will face Cuban Olympic bronze medalist Cuban Yordenis Ugas.
Ugas, who was elevated to WBA world champion in January after defeating Abel Ramos last year, agreed to replace Spence in the main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Though now temporarily prohibited from fighting due to his health condition, Spence assured that he will return to the ring and will face the winner of the Ugas-Pacquiao fight.
Went to three different doctors all said the same thing I’ll be back for the winner for sure— Errol Spence (@ErrolSpenceJr) August 10, 2021
Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Sports Section for the latest updates.
Image credit: Michael Owens via Getty Images