The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) still hasn’t received a go-signal from the local government to relocate and continue its current season in Pampanga. 

The league says if they’re still unable to receive a yes on Monday (August 16), they’ll have to reassess and take a closer look at the situation. 

“We’re still waiting. But on Monday, we’re going to take a closer look at the situation,” PBA commissioner Willie Marcial told the Inquirer

“We’ll make assessments by then,” he added hoping Pampanga will open its doors soon. 

PBA’s Deputy Commissioner Eric Castro represented the league in a meeting with Pampanga Governor Dennis Pineda to discuss the possibility of resuming the Philippine Cup in three locations – Angeles, San Fernando, and the municipality of Bacolor.

“I met with his public administrator on Tuesday. We’re still waiting for approval,” Castro informed.

The Philippine Cup is under hiatus after Metro Manila was put under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) on August 6, which will last until August 20. 

Initially, the league was looking at Lipa, Batangas as its next official venue, however, the area was put under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions. 

And due to that, they turned to Pampanga as a last-ditch option. Last year, the PBA also used the city to host its bubble games. 

If allowed, the league will enforce a closed-circuit system. This means that everyone involved in the games – coaches, players, and staff – will not be able to go home until the tournament is over. 

However, if they receive a negative response, the Philippine Cup will have to be postponed indefinitely as Marcial noted that they have not considered other sites. 

Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Sports Section for the latest updates.

Image credit: PBA’s Official Website