Due to the imposition of the two-week enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) period in the National Capital Region, the Philippine Basketball Association’s (PBA) Philippine Cup has been stalled. 

However, PBA is already making plans to reboot the season and it’s looking at Pampanga as a possible venue. 

Eric Castro, the Deputy Commissioner and Technical Director for the league, said they’re hoping to resume the season by the end of August. 

“Hopefully, by the end of this month, we can resume our games,” Castro said in a report from Inquirer

According to Castro, they’ve already set up a meeting with Pampanga’s LGU regarding their plan to host the game in San Fernando, Angeles.

“We’re heading back to Pampanga this Tuesday to meet with Gov. Dennis Pineda and know whether we’re cleared to proceed,” he explained. 

Castro noted that several teams have come forward and suggested the Quest Hotel in Clark Freeport, which served as the league’s home during last year’s bubble games. 

Once the venue is finalized, the PBA will employ a closed-circuit system. 

“We will not be allowed to go back to our homes while the games are on, so it’s going to be a bubble of sorts there in Pampanga,” Castro said.

Last week, PBA received clearance from the Inter-Agency Task Force to resume games in areas under ordinary general community quarantine (GCQ) and MGCQ, like Pampanga. 

PBA is also looking at Bacolod as a possible venue choice.  Previously, the league was hoping to play in Batangas, however, its quarantine classification changed to GCQ with heightened restrictions due to the surge in COVID-19 cases.

Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Sports Section for the latest updates.

Image credit: PBA’s Official Website