The Philippines is now in the third place when it comes to total vaccines administered in Southeast Asia, an international vaccine tracker reports.
According to Bloomberg’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout monitor – updated on May 21 – the Philippines has provided anti-coronavirus jabs to 3.3 million Filipinos – 1.5% of its total population of 108.1 million.
The country comes after second place Singapore, which has administered 3.41 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, and Indonesia – taking first place with 24 million total anti-COVID shots given.
So far, the Duterte administration has managed to fully vaccinate a total of 786, 528 Filipinos since it launched its vaccine drive more than two months ago.
The initial vaccine rollout in the Philippines prioritized healthcare workers in the frontlines and has been stretched to accommodate the A2 and A3 brackets – comprised of senior citizens and persons with comorbidities.
The country has received a total of 8,279,050 COVID-19 vaccines, 5.5 million of which were CoronaVac supplied by Chinese biotech firm Sinovac. It’s also the vaccine predominantly used in the national government’s inoculation program.
Apart from CoronaVac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Sputnik V have also been utilized in the country’s vaccine rollout.
According to the Department of Health (DOH), the government is aiming to fast-track the rollout of vaccines to achieve herd immunity by November, specifically for the NCR Plus region.
The department says the inoculation program will soon be extended to workers of essential industries and people belonging to the impoverished sector, especially those in COVID-19 hotspots.
You can view the complete ranking list below.
- Indonesia – 24 million doses administered.
- Singapore – 3.41 million doses administered.
- Philippines – 3.3 million doses administered.
- Cambodia – 3.18 million doses administered.
- Myanmar – 2.99 million doses administered.
- Thailand – 2.54 million doses administered.
- Malaysia – 2.16 million doses administered.
- Vietnam – 1.01 million doses administered.
- Laos – 538,000 doses administered.
- Timor-Leste – 30,600 doses administered.
- Brunei – 14,900 doses administered.
Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Breaking News Section for the latest updates.
Image credit: Basilio H. Sepe via Getty Images