The Department of Education (DepEd) has prepared a strategy for the opening of classes for the next school year, however, the final decision will be made by President Rodrigo Duterte.
In Thursday’s (May 20) Laging Handa press briefing, DepEd Undersecretary Annalyn Sevilla revealed that their agency has already put together a plan of action for the school year 2021 to 2022. Sevilla noted that the plan will be submitted for approval to President Duterte and the Cabinet.
“Right now, ang atin pong Department of Education has prepared a proposal that we will submit to the President and the Cabinet level,” Sevilla shared.
Although the opening of classes already has a date – August 23 – Sevilla noted that they took a step further by providing other options. However, she didn’t disclose other potential, return-to-school dates.
“So ang una pong option natin ay yung unang lumabas, yung August 23 at meron din po kaming ibang mga dates na iprepresent po ni Secretary sa ating Presidente,” Sevilla said.
According to Sevilla, face-to-face classes will remain canceled unless approved by the President. Although this is the case, she assured the public that learning will continue despite the ongoing pandemic.
“Hindi po tayo babalik sa face-to-face educational learning delivery system kung hindi po ito papayagan,” she said.
“Magtutuloy po ang pag-aaral, itutuloy natin ang tinatawag na self-learning modules, online, through the DepEd TV, DepEd radio, at iba pa pong approaches,” Sevilla added.
Due to the spread of coronavirus in the country last year, face-to-face classes had to be called off in favor of distance learning, specifically for the safety and well-being of students and instructors. The current learning setup includes the use of modules, which are complemented by online classes.
Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Breaking News Section for the latest updates.
Image credit: Lisa Marie David via Getty Images