Filipino politician Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao is set to go back to his boxing roots after news of a potential fight between him and American Terence Crawford emerged on March 30 (March 31 PHT).
According to a report from the U.S. sports channel ESPN, a source from Top Rank promotions divulged that negotiations between the Pacquiao and Crawford camps have been going on for a while now.
Meanwhile, The Athletic‘s sources say the match has been scheduled for a June outing and will be held in Abu Dhabi. However, they note that nothing has been finalized at the moment.
This isn’t the first time, this year, Pacquiao has been rumored to be in fight negotiations. In February, Pacquiao was reported to be coming up against WBC interim lightweight titleholder Ryan Garcia. However, talks later fizzled out.
The same month, Pacquiao revealed that he’s gone back to training. However, he did not disclose why.
Although the rumor is getting traction online, some are still skeptical about the match coming into fruition.
In a message to Philippine Newspaper Inquirer, MP Promotions President Sean Gibbons said the story is another ‘money-making scheme’ from Pacquiao’s former advisor Mike Koncz and Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.
“[This is] Bob Arum and Mike Koncz nonsense. I do not believe that is happening,” Gibbons said.
Pacquiao last stepped into the boxing ring back in 2019 when he faced off against Keith Thurman and successfully seized the WBA welterweight title.
Meanwhile, Crawford last fought in November of last year against Kell Brooks, who he knocked out.
Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Sports Section for the latest updates.