COVID-19 News, Update: Duterte to announce ‘quarantine classification’ for April 5-30 tonight

President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to make an announcement tonight (March 29) concerning the quarantine classification that will be implemented from April 5 to the end of the month. 

Duterte is scheduled to make an appearance in his regular press briefing, Talk to the People, to discuss what actions will be taken after the government’s imposed enhance community quarantine (ECQ) bubble for NCR Plus concludes.

‘NCR Plus,’ which consists of Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal, was put under ECQ after the total cases of COVID-19 breached 700,000 in the Philippines. The said bubble officially starts today and will end on the fifth of April.

In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte will finalize the quarantine qualification as well as give an update on the government’s assistance program. 

“Inaasahan po natin na sa Talk to the People, masasapinal na iyong quarantine classification simula April 5 hanggang katapusan ng April, at saka iyong issue po ng assistance ng gobyerno,” he said. 

When asked about the possibility of ECQ being extended for NCR Plus, Roque couldn’t give a definitive answer. 

Roque notes that they’re trying to balance the continuous operation of the economy and the curbing of COVID-19 infections, which has seen a significant rise this month. 

“Maselan po talaga ‘yang decision-making. Hindi naman po pupuwede na sa pagnanais nating mapabagal ang COVID-19, mas marami naman ang mamatay dahil sa kagutuman at iba pang dahilan bukod sa COVID-19,” Roque stressed. 

In an earlier statement, Roque said the government strategically chose the Holy Week period to impose an ECQ as the impact on the economy will be minimal.

Today’s president briefing is set to take place after Duterte welcomes the arrival of one million vials of Sinovac vaccines donated by China and after a meeting with the  Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).

At the moment, the Philippines has recorded a total of 115,495 active cases. Of this, 10,016 was recorded today (March 29) alone. 

The Philippine Government started its prioritized vaccination program this month, aiming to vaccinate 1.7 million frontline health workers in the country. So far, the country has given 656,331 frontline workers the first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

Want more news like this one? Head over to Nation Builder PH Breaking News Section for the latest updates.

By |2021-04-05T22:19:10+08:00March 29, 2021|Breaking News|

About the Author:

Nation Builder PH is a news and information website that highlights the good in the Filipino and the Philippines. We are focuses on the positive action, triumphs, victories and success of Filipinos whether big or small.
Go to Top